Sunday, July 27, 2008

Some pictures and an important question

I haven't had much time on-line for quite a while, so I'll do a better post later, but for now I want to add some pictures from Bagamoyo, a nearby coastal city, and cooking at my friend's homestay house and pose this question:

Should I get my hair braided with extensions?

My friend from Amherst, Jenny, is only studying here for the summer, but wants to get her done before going. It will take several hours, hurt, and probably look silly. But on the other hand, it will be cool to have long hair, last a month, and save shampoo. So, anyone comment ASAP and tell me--will I look awful? Is this culturally insensitive? Is it a waste of time?



Sunrise over the Indian Ocean

View from the top of the old colonial governor's house
Me grinding coconut on a mbuzi (goat), basically a stool attached to a sharpened end.

Jenny stirring while trying to avoid the coals and her housegirl instructs her.


2 comments:

JT said...

Big Megan,

I haven't commented on your blog yet, but this is obviously a very important question, and I hope it is not to late to respond.

I believe that you should get your hair braided with extensions. I'm not really sure what that means, but it sounds like fun.

Anonymous said...

Hey Megan,

Team Rachel/Jordan has split on this critical issue. Rachel says no (because "she tends to be fairly conservative on hair issues") aka she is a big fat chicken. I think you should go for it. Then if anyone accosts you, you can defend yourself by swinging your hair/head at them. Plus, I think it will look cool.

Both parties here do agree that such an act would NOT be considered culturally offensive. Btw, love the pics!

And Happy Birthday to Jackie!!!