Sunday, July 20, 2008

Far from home

As I walked to the Royal Kitchen restaurant pit choo (a bathroom consisting of a hole to squat and pee in), I was struck by how far from home I was.

On Friday, after our weekly Swahili quiz, my friends and I waited by our usual Dhala stop, hoping to visit Karyako, a famous market and get lunch in town. Instead of a Dhala, we took a lifti. Two guys in a pickup truck stopped and we all piled in back. Unfortunately, I was wearing a Khanga around my waist with a safety pin, which opened as I jumped up. Getting out of the car at Mwengi Market was interesting. Other than the wardrobe malfunction, liftis generally beat taking crowded, sweaty Dhalas or Costas (buses). However, on this trip, we caught an almost empty Costa all the way to Karyako.

Karyako looked exactly like I imagined Dar. People in bright colors filled the narrow dirty streets. On either side, vendors sold fruit and practical products like mouse poison, rope, radios, clothes pins…etc…We looked around, eyeing restaurants, searching for somewhere with more variety than DARUSO. Finally, we find the Royal Kitchen, listed in our guide book. We had delicious Indian curries, pasta, and stir-fry but had to wait over an hour. We saw people come and go, but still we waited, while anxiously watching Al Jazeera news without sound, trying not to think about our hunger.

It was after the meal, when I saw myself in a mirror, sweaty, disheveled, with a pink and green khanga around my waist that I marveled at how bizarre peeing in a hole, hitchhiking, and ignoring street vendors would seem at home. After we wander around the market, buying fabric, fruit, and clothespins and sit on the Costa toward Mwengi, Rachel turns to me sleepily and says, “When we visit Arusha, let’s take a lifti all the way there.” I laugh, but the idea of riding ten hours in the back of a pick-up truck does sound better than a sweaty bus.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Megan,

Your trip to the market sounds like such an adventure. And I'm glad you're able to branch out some food-wise. I know from experience that rice and beans can get old fast. Btw, Wecks says he is going to the sushi restaurant Monday and will give you a review afterwards.

Our week sounds pretty mundane after reading your posts, but our most exciting activity this week was going to the Harry and the Potters concert in LA. It was hilarious and so much fun- the band member stayed in the character of Harry Potter throughout the whole show. I think we might have been the only ones who didn't know all the lyrics. We have also gotten into jewelry making and have spent obscene amounts of time reading trashy teen fiction :)

I hope you are well and I want you to know how much I enjoy reading your posts.

Jordan