Monday, September 1, 2008

Dias Deliciosos/Delicious Days

Again this semester, quite fortunately, I do not have any classes on Friday. Though Buenos Aires is still technically in winter, we have been having some deliciously warm weather. So, on Friday I woke up late and had tea and breakfast with my family. Our schedules don’t usually match up in the morning, so it was really fun to hang out with them. Afterwards, I decided to have a picnic in the park with my friends from the program. Everyone brought a little something and we had a great lunch in the park. While trying to think of ways to make money in Argentina without getting an official job (because it would be illegal under our immigration status), we decided to become musicians. We then composed a little song and performed it for our fellow park goers. I was supposed to be a dancer, but that didn’t work out that well because I was laughing so hard. We then headed over to the botanical gardens. The gardens were fabulous with many great sculptures, but it also had a strange amount of cats. In the gardens we found two guys playing guitar who shared their music and mate (a tea-like hot drink).

I then returned to my house for a short nap. Most people in Buenos Aires eat dinner sometime after 9pm, and my family usually eats around 9 or 9:30. It was really hard for the first couple of weeks, but I think my stomach is almost adjusted. I get to set the table now, and on occasion I even get to help cook. I don’t think my family is used to having students who help out at dinnertime, because they seemed very surprised at first. I still receive all the guess privileges—first pick, biggest portion, etc. I really enjoy helping them out, and I get to chat with my host sister while she prepares dinner.
This day we had an amazing dinner—noquis (pasta) with and onion cream sauce. I had celebrated my birthday on Saturday, but in another province of Argentina. My sister made this delicious brownie cake topped with dulce de leche[like caramel, but more delicious] and a meringue topping. My family sang happy birthday to me with half of the cake. My hostmama was really embarrassed that it was only half of the cake, but I insisted over and over again that it was fine. My family then sang like three different versions of happy birthday, including a fun spanglish version.
I have had an eye infection for like two weeks. I caught then infection from my host sister who caught it from her boyfriend, and my hostmama’s eyes were itching. When I blew out the candles I laughingly wished for a cure to la epidemia [epedemic]. Speaking of “La epidemia,” has now become a sickly ironic joke in our house. My hostabuela [grandmother] told me I should wish for a good-looking Argentine boyfriend. We all had a good laugh about both wishes.

Later that night I went to a reggae club with my girlfriends. The club was filled with mostly Argentines, and it was a very relaxed comfortable environment. While waiting in line for the bathroom, we met some European women. They couldn’t believe I was from the states, and one of them told me I was THE Argentine woman. I took this as a great compliment to end a great day.

No comments: