Monday, August 25, 2008

Hola From Buenos Aires

Hello Everyone,

Sorry I have been slacking on my part of this blog. I arrived in Buenos Aires on August 4th, and everything has been a whirlwind from then on.

I live with a host family, which I absolutely love. Everyday when I arrive home my host mother gives me a kiss and asks how my day was. My host sister Mariana is seventeen. Her english is much better than my Spanish and she helps me out when I really can´t communicate. My host Abuelita comes over a lot. She is always giving me extra portions of food and candy. But, for the life of her, she cannot remember I am a vegetarian. Being a vegetarian here is turning out to be rather difficult, especially in restraunts. My family cooks dinner for my every weekday night, and they have been super cool about the vegetarian thing. My HostMom always goes on and on about how good it is for health and how much she loves it ( and she is not being sarcastic). The other day I got to cook my own soy milenesa-which was super delicious after I figured it out. My host Mom tried, but she accidentally burnt it.

Cousins, sisters, nieces, and friends are always coming over. I love this because it reminds me of my own crazy and large family at home.


Everyone thinks I can speak Spanish because of my accent, which is fun. The other day this kid from my program revealed that he didn´t know NM was a state. I pronounced my name correctly, then he started speaking to me in Spanish. Then he asked me if I liked the American students and why my English accent was so good. I told him it was because I was from the US. Then I had a rather good laugh at his expense---pobrecito [poor guy]

My accent works really well in cabs, which is great because sometimes they rip you off if they think you aren´t from Argentina.

I have made friends with people from my program. My friends are a pretty good representation of geographic and racial diversity. Which is pretty rare for this program. Its pretty funny because I have been having reverse culture shock. I lived with people of color all summer, and now the program is almost all white `people. Funny. Its been lots of fun hanging out with my new friends, and we usually do most things together. My people don´t go out that often, but we usaually go out on the weekends. But, it is insane because people here stay out till at least 6 in the morning -eek!

I will write real, and reflective blogs more often- This is just a short intro to my life.

i would love to hear from you,
besos
denicia

1 comment:

Megan said...

Yeah! I love you D-Sam.